Monday, September 22, 2008

D.C. is the way to be



I have dreamed about living in D.C. since my first trip there eight years ago. Be prepared for a walk down memory lane - or a light jog.

It was a Model United Nations trip (yes, I'm that kinda nerd) and it was my first long trip away from home without my parents. You would think all sorts of young mischief would ensue - graffiti, under-age drinking, public nudity. Nope - remember it was Model UN. We got our chuckles from making obscure references to World War II. (Gettin' with your mama was as easy as invading Poland in 1939!)

The days were filled with hot debates, shoddy treaties and strong declarations over Midi Cafe freshly squeezed orange juice on Connecticut Ave. The nights were shared with laughs and whispers over Best Hunan's steaming dumplings. We all dressed in our "Western business attire" and playing "adults" for the week.

Now when I go into D.C. for work, talks are over Jack and Cokes. This time I have to listen - my job requires me to be unbiased and listen. (My favorite word - What?) But I miss voicing my opinions - as loud and obnoxious as they may be. And I still feel like I'm pretending to be an adult.

1 comment:

Finger Talks said...

isn't everyone just pretending to be an adult. the people who aren't are the ones who scare me, the people who walk by and everyone thinks... there goes such an adult! i hope to NEVER be them.