Monday, September 8, 2008

sorry...is my geek showing?



You know those "You might be a redneck..." jokes? the Large Hadron Collider. Ya know -

"If directions to your house include 'turn off the paved road,' you might be a redneck." (Thanks Jeff Foxworthy!)

Well, if you know what the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is...you might be a geek. Stay with me here - the LHC is one of the most exciting things to happen for particle physics - they are going to collide two opposing proton beams and will watch to see what happens. And they fire this baby up tomorrow night!

I don't have a degree in particle physics. Hell, I almost failed high school physics. Well, a B- is like failing to me.

But I am excited to see what happens with LHC. I'm in awe of just the sheer size of the project - more than 8,000 physicists worked on it. It's on the border of France and Switzerland and has a 17 mile circumference.

Sure - everyone thinks that it will blow up the earth. But that makes it all the more impressive. And they do school tours! That sure beats our trips to the Meadowlands.

1 comment:

Finger Talks said...

yep they're gonna blow up the earth. very inconvenient since I'm very excited to see what is going to happen next on Lost and now I'll never know. jerks.