Friday, September 26, 2008

why journalism?



People always ask me why I went into journalism.

I took up journalism because I have no skills. Just kidding - sort of. 

I'm passionate about writing. There are some nights that I'll suddenly wake up from a deep sleep and feel the need to write something down. I keep a notebook and pen near my bed just for that reason. I learned from fumbling in the dar, hitting my knees against furniture, cursing a little then completely forgetting what I was going to write - leading to more cursing. It only took six years. 

But until I write the newest, greatest American novel (I'm thinking girl meets guy, they fall in love, she turns out to be an evil cyborg bent on destroying human life, fin. I'm thinking about casting Paris Hilton in the movie version so it's believable), I'm sticking with journalism.

It was either starving artist, literature teacher, public relations or journalism. I like food, so starving artist is out. I don't want to be a lit teacher because they over-analyze everything. I mean, what if Moby Dick wasn't an allegorical novel for the human condition and man's relationship with a supreme being? What if it was just a story about a whale and a deranged captain? Public relations is out for now because I heard you have to sell your soul. And I already sold my soul for a peanut butter chocolate milkshake two years ago - and it was completely worth it. 

No comments: